May

Seeing Summer

As a writer, one of the things you have to work hard to do is SHOW rather than TELL.

Rather than just say “it’s summer,” it’s better to show it so a reader feels as if they’re there as well.

To that end, if you’re game, show us summer in a sentence of two…

8 Responses to “Seeing Summer”

May 18th, 2017 at 10:04 am

Oh I like this one Laura! Here I go…

Sweat trickling down my forehead as the sun’s rays beam down. In the trees the locust are chanting their usual summer ritual. Texas summer has begun.

May 18th, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Mumbling under my breath, fighting with this stupid weed whose roots I swear go to China. I feel the sun burning down on me, I’m beginning to feel like I’m on fire as the sweat rolls into my eyes stinging them and I can barely see. “Fine! You win” I get up and enter the house into blessed air conditioning.

May 18th, 2017 at 7:34 pm

Love you guys’ answers.
    Hot, humid, sticky, and in my opinion nasty, yep it is summer here again. Does it ever really go away, maybe for a few months. Now with the a/c broken I think I may just go to the hut so I can bask in my own little haven of coolness.

May 18th, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Wow! Debbie and Kay nicely done!

May 18th, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Andrea you did great!

6. Elizabeth @ The College Seamstress
    May 19th, 2017 at 12:21 am

Ooh, this reminds me of my high school English days. I used to love writing! I still do, but I don’t do it as often. Let’s see…

Bzz, bzzz. I hear the annoying buzzing in my ears as I annoyingly swat at another pesky mosquito. The Minnesota “state bird” has returned to its native land. Oh well. I won’t let them ruin my summer! I drench myself in mosquito repellent and set off for my early morning run. The rest of the world is still sound asleep. The only sound is the thud of my feet against the hard pavement and the huffing and puffing as I struggle for air. The sun starts to beat down on me like a burning furnace and soon beads of sweat are dripping down my face. I can almost taste the salt on my lips. The sweat flies off of me as I run, leaving a trail of water behind me. I trudge onward as a soldier prepared for winning a battle and I squint to see my finish line in the distance.

May 19th, 2017 at 2:23 am

Wow. Just wow.

Andrea, Debbie, Kay, and Elizabeth the C.S., you guys did amazing. You definitely showed! Nice!

May 19th, 2017 at 8:12 am

Great job Elizabeth @ the college seamstress!