Jul

Eleven Years

Filed in odds and ends

Running a little behind on posting today. I started my day off with a workout and then breakfast with a college senior who has interest in being a writer. She asked some really good questions which was fun.

Now I’m home and thinking about that moment, eleven years ago today, when I was told I had multiple sclerosis. I can still hear that dull roar in my head sometimes–the roar I heard over the voice of the doctor.

At the time, I was pretty thrown and definitely in denial. But today, I consider myself pretty darn lucky–lucky that I have this disease now, when the meds available are quite effective and staving things off…and lucky that what was such a dark day ended up leading me to some pretty big blessings… IMG_9704

*My daughters have learned that hurdles can be jumped.

*Since my diagnosis, I have gone on to contract 29 more books.

*I’ve learned who my truest friends are.

*I’ve learned that I’m tougher than I realized.

*I’ve been able to help others who have heard the same words and felt the same fear.

So that’s my day. How’s yours?

9 Responses to “Eleven Years”

July 6th, 2017 at 12:48 pm

You know I consider my diagnosis a blessing. Before I was told I had m/s I had issues that I could never find out through other doctors what they were. At times I thought I must be crazy. I was actually started on my journey by a simple eye doctor at a big end store. He saw something and sent me to a specialist. From there I found out what was going on. I had just bought a house I loved, living far from my family and in a relationship I had doubts about. Those days brought so many things to light. Yes I was with the wrong guy (even though I ended up staying with him for a while longer). Yes my house was amazing, but when I ended up losing it, I realized it isnt the things in life that matter. I gained so much from my diagnosis in losing so many other things. I am blessed.
    Today we dont have storms so that is wonderful for me and my boy Tyler. It is not as hot, so that is wonderful for me. I have wonderful books to read that I can actually read and understand. I am surrounded by my amazing family. I have friends that will last a lifetime and through thick and thin. I am feeling very blessed today.

July 6th, 2017 at 12:50 pm

And by the way Laura, you are amazing! And a true inspiration to those of us with m/s and those that do not have m/s. You are a light for all of us to aspire to become. Thank you

3. Lois Rotella
    July 6th, 2017 at 2:43 pm

I got spend my day with my niece and her granddaughter. I am not use to 7 years old. She is lots of fun.

4. Bob
    July 6th, 2017 at 3:00 pm

I love your observations of your life’s experience, Laura, I have always found that adversity, even failure, are some of the finest teachers in life. I learned a great deal watching adults that I respected handle ‘life’ which have guided me for years. Your daughter is very fortunate.
    How’s my day was your final question? Still on vacation until Monday, coffee was excellent, sun is shining, life is good.

July 6th, 2017 at 5:19 pm

Thank you, Kay, you inspire me, too!

Lois, love seeing you here!! And yes, 7 is busy and tons of fun!!

Bob, I, too agree children learn so much from what they observe (more than from what they hear). So I hope my daughters do learn good life lessons from this. If nothing else, attitude matters. And your day sounds great!

July 6th, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Me? I went to work and came home and fell asleep while reading FB again, LOL. I hate that you have this disease but I know what you mean about finding out that your stronger than you thought. When they diagnosed me with Mixed Connective, there really wasn’t much known and everything I researched came up tied with other things. The meds knocked me off my feet so I went off them. My primary has recommended a new rheumatologist to me, saying that new meds are out and I should try again. I now have an appt. with him and hoping that this works. From everything I’ve heard about your daughters they seem to be growing into two amazing, thoughtful, strong women, I don’t think that you have to worry about their attitude, yours seems to shine through them.

July 6th, 2017 at 5:29 pm

Awww thanks Laura.
    Debbie S I sure hope and pray they are able to find something that helps!

July 7th, 2017 at 10:22 am

So glad you found the bright side of having a disease and are able to inspire others!!! That’s amazing! Hope all of you are well.
    Today I worked, took a nap, and finished season one of The OA. That’s a pretty cool show!

July 10th, 2017 at 9:54 am

Debbie, I hope the appointment yields good things!!

Andrea, I’ve heard the OA is a good show!