Aug

Didn’t Ask, Didn’t Care

Filed in odds and ends

bankYesterday, after eleven years of being an account holder at a certain bank (which we’ll call Bank A for the purpose of today’s post), I opted to close everything down. It’s a process I’ve been working toward for a few months–slowly switching over direct deposits and automatic withdrawals to the far superior Bank B.

Funny thing is, I liked Bank A because it had branches everywhere and I thought that would be helpful with a job that has me on the go sometimes for signings, etc. But over the last year or so, every time I went into Bank A, I was met by an employee whose sole job seemed to be to direct people away from tellers and over to ATMs.  Online banking was pushed, even going so far as to reduce fees if you didn’t use a teller (though, now that I’m thinking about it, I’m not sure I saw that benefit once I stopped going).

Here’s the thing. I wanted to deal with a person. I prefer it. But when it became apparent Bank A’s preference was not to deal with customers, I started looking harder at Bank B.  I mean, if I’m going to go sans face-to-face, shouldn’t I look at a place that gives you the moon and the stars and appreciates you?

Yeah, I thought so, too.

I was hoping, when I said I wanted to close my accounts that the bank employee would want to know why. But you know what? She never asked (translation: she didn’t care).

Thank you, Bank A, for making my decision even more of a no-brainer.

Any similar experiences out there (bank or otherwise) with any of you?

9 Responses to “Didn’t Ask, Didn’t Care”

August 10th, 2017 at 10:38 am

*clap, clap, clap* THANK YOU!!!
    I totally feel the same way. I want to talk to a real person, face-to-face or on the phone. Especially if I have to explain anything. I can’t get my point across to a machine.
    One example: I went inside one of my bank branches to withdrawal an odd amount. The teller told me I could use the new ATM which would be able to give you odd amounts. I told her I’d rather deal with a person and then I asked her what about her job? I don’t remember what she said. I can only imagine that maybe there won’t be as many tellers now.
    It’s very hard to find good, caring customer service these days. It frustrates me and makes me a bit sad.
    I wish you good luck with your new bank!
    Have a good day all! 🙂

August 10th, 2017 at 10:42 am

Laura-How’s your daughter today? Feeling better I hope. 🙂

August 10th, 2017 at 10:52 am

Yeah, I don’t get why these tellers push the ATMs either. Surely their job is at risk?

Andrea, she’s feeling a bit better. Puffy, but doing okay. Thank you!

August 10th, 2017 at 10:58 am

That’s great, Laura! Glad to hear it.

One more thing…If any of you read I’ve Got Your Number, I really hope you enjoy it as much as me. I finished it this morning. It was a lot of fun! 🙂

August 10th, 2017 at 11:08 pm

I am very lucky. I have been with the same bank since I was 16. Yes it has had several different names, but it is still the same bank. I am also very lucky that we have a teller and manager who will do anything they can for us. I dont even go to the bank. All I do is call and it is all handled. Thankfully my folks bank there as well and have for the last 15-20 years. I even kept the same bank when I moved out of state and there were none there, lol. My account number is so low as compared to everyone else I know.
    Did you figure out the way to keep the towels warm? I hope the microwave tip helped.

August 10th, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Andrea I placed the book on hold at the library. Will let you know what I think.
    Was a bit sad that the latest Donna Andrews was not as funny, but still a wonderful mystery that I didnt figure out at all.

7. Bob
    August 10th, 2017 at 11:13 pm

It is sad how the notion of customer service has gone by the wayside. A few years ago there was a minimum wage increase slated here and as I went in to get an ice cream cone a surly teenager treated me like yesterdays trash and I thought, yep, she is getting a raise in a few days.

I just hit 35 years with my current employer and trying not to sound like I walked uphill both ways in the snow when I was younger, but we were taught customer service back then. We were expected to give great customer service. I can only imagine what your bank employee will be thinking of customer service, say 30 years from now, Elizabeth.

August 11th, 2017 at 9:08 am

Kay, I tried the microwave on the heat towels but still didn’t retain long. Then when I asked the lady at the dentist’s office about a heating pad, she said too much heat can promote bleeding, so I guess that’s why they say the damp washcloths–doesn’t last too long.

Andrea, it’s now on my TBR pile thanks to you! 🙂

Bob, it is very sad. I worked retail as a teenager (and again in 20007-2008) and yeah, customer service was drilled into our heads. Not sure where that’s gone…

August 11th, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Yay! So glad you’re going to read it!
    Kay-what a wonderful bank! Wish they could all be like that.
    I worked at a convenience store for five years and tried so hard to give good customer service. I go into that chain now and they are just like robots trying to get you out fast. It’s sad.