Books, and Some Brain Picking…

Today, at the gym, I’m finishing up my latest Sophie Kinsella book, Twenties Girl. I wasn’t too sure about the premise at first, but I ended up falling in love with the story. Such fun!  I’ll be moving on to her brand new release when I return from my upcoming travel (and, thus, to the gym).

I want to hear what you’re all working on this week, but first I need to ask a huge favor.  I need you to think back to your teen years. Specifically any relationship you might have had.  I need ideas for small momentos from said relationships that could fit inside a small keepsake box.  Things a person might look back at and have various memories triggered.  This is for a current project I’m working on and I’m looking for some more object ideas.

Thank you!!

7 Responses to “Books, and Some Brain Picking…”

February 20th, 2018 at 9:05 am

Since HS sweetheart is now my wife I still have a lot of things (and so does she)

– napkin from the Jr prom. I had the glasses but not sure what happened to them
    – dried flowers from said prom
    – ditto for Senior prom
    – ditto for her Senior prom
    – cards and letters we sent each other
    – a deflated big lips balloon she sent me at school.
    – she has a couple of movie and theatre ticket stubs
    – she has the boarding passes, tickets from taxis/buses etc. from the HS trip we met on. I don’t 🙂
    – tassels from cap/gown
    – HS rings. We still have each other’s
    – half of a heart necklace (this was the 80’s people)
    – cards from flowers we’ve sent each other over the years.
    – small trinkets from skee ball, carnivals etc.
    – she has the boarding passes from flying to see me in Houston while I was on an internship in college (she was still 19)

I know some other couples who met in HS/teen years of college and they have
    – ticket stubs from movies, concerts etc
    – a speeding ticket from when he wasn’t quite paying attention to the road as she was talking
    – golf ball from mini-golf (their first date)
    – hockey puck, if I remember correctly she worked at the concessions stand where he staked/played
    – various rings and jewelry, all cheap not ‘promise rings’ but silly things

February 20th, 2018 at 11:20 am

Chris, these are GREAT! The trinkets from the arcade games, etc are especially perfect! Do you happen to remember what some of the trinkets are?

LOL on the speeding ticket for the friend. LOL!

Thank you, these really are fantastic!

February 20th, 2018 at 1:06 pm

I don’t remember exactly but I think of what I got as a kid or see my kids
    – animal erasers
    – feather hair clips (really roach clips)
    – heart, star, rainbow stickers
    – those little troll, smurf or silly fictional character things

I probably at some point won those and gave them to Deb. Especially the animal erasers.

Also won a lot of stuffed animals, but they wouldn’t fit in the box you described.

February 20th, 2018 at 1:08 pm

You could have a whole other thread of stupid things hormone raging teenage boys did to get/keep a girl’s attention. Not that a few things come to mind …

5. Debbie S.
    February 20th, 2018 at 2:57 pm

I think that Chris has this covered, LOL. I didn’t date much so, not much help here. When hubby and I dated I think that I held onto a couple ticket stubs, cards he’s given me, souvenir photos (like screaming our heads off on a roller coaster), I mainly stole his sweatshirts and jackets, LOL.

February 20th, 2018 at 5:33 pm

Wow Chris I think you and your wife must be the perfect couple! Yep Debbie I think he has everything covered. I used to have some mementos and trinkets, but I think they were from dogs or cats I had, lol. Yep always had better luck with the 4-legged men in my life. I did have some photos of special times, dried flowers, concert tickets, things like that. I also had a fake yellow rose that Gene Simmons had in his mouth at the first concert I went to (loved him) given to me by my brother’s guitar player (that I had a crush on) forever.

February 21st, 2018 at 6:57 pm

Chris, I’ll keep that in mind for a future post. Because I’m actually curious now.

Debbie, I still have a stuffed Yodi (Garfield’s dog) from a boy in my high school class who I thought was super sweet but beyond the dog, he never said he liked me and I was too shy to pursue.